Receipt for a visa when studying in Germany
All persons who wish to study at a high school, college or university in Germany are required to obtain
a residence permit. This high school, college or university has to be a state-approved language school
by the German ministry of education and the arts. This course at a language school has to be the only
reason for entering the Federal Republic of Germany.
Citizens of the United States of America, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand,
Switzerland, as well as EU citizens may apply for their residence permit after entering Germany
without a visa.
Citizens of other countries are required to apply and obtain a residence permit prior to entry
(an opinion also open to US citizens) at the German Embassy in their country.
Required Documents
(Students have to enclose two copies of all required documents)
a letter of acceptance of a German university/ language school/ college as well as the
number of lessons that will be taken
an evidence that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while living in Germany
(according to the law regarding grants for higher education it has to be EUR 585,00 a month
at this moment), or
a declaration of obligation (= a confirmation of a citizen of the Federal Republic of Germany
which contains the assumption of all finances needed while studying in Germany according to
§§ 82 – 84 of the AusIG)
a declaration of purpose of the language course (Having finished the language course, are
studies at a German university/ college planned?)
two fully completed application forms
three passport photographs
a valid national passport
In individual cases, you may be required to provide additional documents
Except for rare instances, you have to submit your application in person. Upon submission of all
required documents the application will be forwarded to the Aliens' Office (Ausländeramt) competent
for your intended place of residence in Germany. Student visa applications take about 25 days to be
processed. After the application has been approved by the Aliens' Office the Consulate will issue a

residence permit in the form of a visa. The Aliens' Office requires all residence permit holders to
register upon their first arrival. A final residence permit for the duration of your studies will be granted
in Germany after arrival..
Please note: It is not possible for members of the family of the students who study in Germany to
follow them.
Last updated in May of 2003